Sterling, Walter A.

(1942) 1961                          Walter A. Sterling                                                                                 

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Sparrows Point MD by Bethlehem Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Hull 4378
Launched June 25, 1942
Launched as Class T3-S-A1 tanker Samoset for Socony-Mobil Oil Co.  Renamed Mobiloil before commissioning.  Registered at 483.3 x 68.3 x 36.9, 10278 GT, 6270 NT.  501’8” LOA, 487’6” LBP, 68’ beam, 37’ depth.  Requisitioned late 1942 by U. S. Navy and renamed Chiwawa (AO-68).  Sold 1960 to owners below.  Converted to Great Lakes bulk freighter at Toledo and Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co. with the addition of a new midbody built in Hamburg Germany by Schlieker-Werft and towed to Lorain.  Renamed Walter A.  Sterling 1961.

730’ LOA, 715’4” LBP, 75’ beam, 39’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 7700 SHP

Enrolled at
716.5 x 76.6 x 34.4, 13122 GT, 9879 NT     US 251505     to:
Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Wilmington DE)

Entered service July 15, 1961

Lengthened 1976 at Superior WI by Fraser Shipyards
Remeasured to 812.5 x 75.2 x 34.4, 14904 GT, 11661 NT

Converted to self-unloader 1978 at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 14671 GT, 11428 NT

Sold 1985 to Rouge Steel Co., River Rouge MI, an affiliate of Ford Motor Co. and renamed William  Clay Ford  (2)

Fleet sold 1989 to Lakes Shipping Co., Cleveland OH, Interlake Steamship Co., Mgr. and vessel renamed Lee A. Tregurtha.

IMO 5385625

In service 2011 for Lakes Shipping (Interlake)

 

6104

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *