1905 Amasa Stone 1964
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Wyandotte MI by Detroit Shipbuilding Co., Hull 158
(An early announcement stated that this vessel would be named Samuel Mather for a co-founder of the managing company. Instead she was named for Mather’s father-in-law and the next vessel built for the fleet, in 1906, was named Samuel Mather.)
Launched March 25, 1905
545’ LOA, 525’ LBP, 55’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI May 1, 1905 (Temp #65)
525.0 x 55.2 x 31.0, 6282 GT, 4930 NT US 201937 to:
Mesaba Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr. (home port Fairport OH)
Permanent enrollment at Cleveland OH May 8, 1905 (#75)
Entered service May 1905
Fleet merged 1913 into Interlake Steamship Co.
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Repowered 1952 with Skinner Unaflow engine
Sold for scrap 1964 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Filled with stone and sunk spring 1965 with str. Charles S. Hebard as part of dock at Charlevoix MI for Medusa Portland Cement Co.