1890 Tampa 1915
Wooden Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at West Bay City MI by F. W. Wheeler & Co., Hull 74
Launched Aug 7, 1890
310’ LOA, 291’ LBP, 41’ beam, 22’ depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1250 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI Aug 14, 1890 (#16)
291.6 x 41.0 x 19.8, 1972.08 GT, 1632.95 NT US 145555 to:
D. Whitney, Detroit MI (home port Detroit MI)
Entered service 1890
Transferred 1891 to Whitney Transportation Co., Hamtramck MI
Wrecked Nov 22, 1898 at Beaver Bay, 100 mi. east of Duluth MN, Lake Superior. Driven ashore in storm and broke her back. Abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss.
Released spring 1899 and towed to Bay City MI, where she was repaired by James Davidson
Sold 1899 to E. D. Carter, Erie PA (home port to Erie PA)
Sold 1901 to Henry Wineman, Detroit MI
Sunk July 18, 1911 in collision with str. John W. Gates off Walkerville ON, Detroit River. Abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss. Enrollment surrendered March 25, 1912.
Raised 1914, towed to Marine City MI and beached. Was to be used as a drydock at McLouth Shipyard but the conversion was never made. Hull scrapped 1923.