1900 Tampico 1961 (1969)
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter
Built at Toledo OH by Craig Shipbuilding Co., Hull 77
Launched May 4, 1900
256’ LOA, 242’ LBP, 42’ beam, 25’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 905 IHP
Enrolled at Toledo oh May 11, 1900 (#1)
247.0 x 42.0 x 24.0, 2133 GT, 1451 NT US 145840 to:
Hawgood Transit Co., Cleveland OH, H. A. Hawgood, Mgr. (home port Fairport OH)
Entered service 1900
Transferred fall 1900 for off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes. Great Lakes enrollment surrendered Oct 24, 1900. Later sold for service on the west coast.
Sold 1923 to F. D. Gleason Coal Co., Detroit MI and returned to the Great Lakes (home port to Detroit MI) at ocean measurements of 2261 GT, 1654 NT
Converted to dredge 1924 at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works
Remeasured to 22.0 depth and 1894 GT, 1180 NT
Sold 1937 to Nicholson Transit Co., Detroit MI
Converted to crane vessel 1938 at Ecorse MI by Nicholson Terminal & Dock Co.
Requisitioned 1942 by U. S. War Shipping Administration for off-Lakes service during World War II. Converted back to bulk freighter at Buffalo NY by American Ship Building Co. and left the Great Lakes.
Returned to Great Lakes service for the 1943 season under charter to Nicholson Transit Co. Returned to off-Lakes service at the end of the season.
Sold late 1945 to her previous owners and returned 1946 to the Great Lakes at her off-Lakes tonnage of 1992 GT, 1095 NT
Sold 1961 to Hyman-Michaels Co., Chicago IL for non-transportation service. Converted to refuse barge. Later sunk as a temporary breakwater at Two Rivers WI during construction of a power plant. Towed to Frankfort MI and sunk as a dock.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 344