1929 Myron C. Taylor 2007
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 269
Launched June 15, 1929
603’9” LOA, 580’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-firedboilers, triple expansion engine, 2200 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI Aug 22, 1929 (Temp. No. 17)
588.3 x 60.2 x 28.0, 7945 GT, 6337 NT US 228960 to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service Aug 27, 1929 clearing Detroit MI light for Duluth MN
Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN Aug 30, 1929
Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE)
Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)
Transferred 1956 to Bradley Transportation Line, Detroit MI)
Converted to self-unloader at Sturgeon Bay WI by Christy Corporation
Remeasured to 8233 GT, 6560 NT
Fleet transferred 1967 to United States Steel Great Lakes Fleet (home port to Wilmington DE)
Repowered 1968 with diesel engine at Toledo OH by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 8223 GT, 6552 NT
Fleet made a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation 1981, renamed USS Great Lakes Fleet Inc., Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN)
Sold 2001 to Grand River Navigation Co., Avon Lake OH, a subsidiary of Lower Lakes Towing Ltd. and renamed Calumet (2)
Blown against harbor wall Nov 15, 2007 at Cleveland OH after unloading a cargo of limestone.
Sold for scrap 2007 to International Marine Salvage, Port Colborne ON. Sailed to Port Colborne and scrapped there.
(She had been scheduled for retirement at the end of the 2007 shipping season.)