(1945) 1953 Paul H. Townsend
Steel self-unloading cement carrier
Built at Wilmington CA by Consolidated Steel Corporation, Hull 1328 Launched Sept 1945
Built as Hickory Coll for U. S. Maritime Commission as Class C1-M-AV1 cargo vessel during World War II. Chartered 1945 to Southern Steamship Co. and renamed Coastal Delegate; purchased by them in 1947. Sold 1951 to owners below and renamed Paul H. Townsend. Converted 1952 to self-unloading cement carrier at Hoboken NJ by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co. and towed into the Great Lakes spring 1953 via the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers.
338’8 3/8” LOA, 321’4” LBP, 50’ beam, 29’3/4” depth
1 deck, oil-fired diesel engine, 1700 bhp
Enrolled at Detroit MI
323.9 x 50.1 x 26.5, 3581 GT, 1870 NT US 248646 to:
Huron Transportation Co., Detroit MI, Huron Portland Cement Co., Mgr.
Entered service April 1953
Fleet transferred 1955 to parent Huron Portland Cement Co.
Lengthened 1958 and pilot house moved forward at Ashtabula OH by Great Lakes Engineering Works
Remeasured to 431.9 length and 4302 GT, 2825 NT
Fleet sold 1965 to National Gypsum Co., Detroit MI (home port to Wilmington DE)
Fleet sold 1988 to Inland Lakes Management, Alpena MI
Laid up at Muskegon MI Dec 12, 2005 and used for cement storage
At Muskegon MI 2011 as a cement storage barge