1928 Trenora 1963
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter
Built at South Bank-on-Tees England by Smith’s Dock Co., Hull 838
Launched Feb 23, 1928
258’ LOA, 253’ LBP, 43’2” beam, 20’6” depth
1 deck, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 835 IHP
253.0 x 43.4 x 18.4, 1796 GT, 1134 NT Br 147798 to:
Water Transports Ltd., Montreal QC, a subsidiary of Montreal Light, Heat & Power Co. (home port Middlesbrough England)
Built as Clearwater to carry pulpwood upbound and coal downbound through the Welland and St. Lawrence River canals. On inbound trip from England grounded in the St. Lawrence River and abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss. Refloated, repaired at Lauzon QC by Davie Shipbuilding Ltd. and converted from pulpwood and coal carrier to coal and grain carrier at Levis QC, transferred to Canadian Lake Carriers Ltd. (another subsidiary of her former company parent), renamed Trenora and completed voyage to the Great Lakes
Entered service 1928
Enrollment transferred to Canada 1929 Can 147798 (home port to Montreal QC)
Transferred 1938 to Keystone Transports Ltd. and renamed Keyshey.
Fleet sold 1955 to La Verendrye Lines Ltd., Montreal QC
Fleet sold 1962 to Hall Corporation of Canada, Montreal QC
Sold for scrap 1965. Resold to Spanish shipbreakers. Arrived Bilbao Spain May 24, 1967 with str. Algosoo, towed by Polish tug Jantar.
See history in Scanner May 2009 (#321)