1909 United States 1945
Steel passenger vessel
Built at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuillding Corporation, Hull 28
Launched Feb 22, 1909
200’ LBP, 40’ beam, 17’ depth
3 decks, coal-fired boiler, triple expansion engine, 2500 IHP
Enrolled at Milwaukee WI May 25, 1909 (#99)
193.0 x 41.0 x 16.0, 1711 GT, 1040 NT US 206330 to:
Manitowoc Dry Dock Co.
Reenrolled at Chicago IL May 28, 1909 (#80) to:
Indiana Transportation Co., Chicago IL (home port to Michigan City IN)
Remeasured 1910 to 1374 GT, 811 NT
Sold June 14, 1916 to Crosby Transportation Co., Milwaukee WI
Sold Oct 10, 1916 to Col. E. H. R. Green for off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes Lengthened and converted to private yacht, later converted back to passenger vessel
Remeasured to 247.4 x 40.2 x 23.8, 2058 GT, 1122 NT
Offered on charter to U. S. Navy during World War I but offer declined.
Sold 1923 to Peninsular & Northern Navigation Co., Plainfield NJ
Converted for passenger service by Todd Shipyards, New York NY and returned to the Great Lakes. Second (dummy) stack added at New York.
During most of her operations on the Great Lakes in the 1920s vessel apparently was in both financial and legal difficulties since the proportion of her foreign ownership, for a vessel operating between U.S. ports, brought her into violation of U.S. cabotage laws. Finally sailed late 1926 to Sarnia ON.
Burned June 6, 1927 at her dock at Sarnia. Salvaged by Reid Wrecking Co.
Sold 1929 to Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal QC (home port to Montreal QC) and renamed Batiscan. Converted to package freighter at Sorel QC by Davie Shipbuilding & Repairing Co.
Enrolled Canadian 1930 at 246.8 x 40.0 x 16.0, 1656 GT, 823 NT Can 154476
Laid up at end of 1931 season at Sorel QC and did not operate again.
Sold 1937 to Manseau Shipyards, Sorel QC
Scrapped 1945 at Sorel QC
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 370
Also in Telescope Sept-Oct 1971