1952 Vacationland 1961 (1987)
Steel double ended double twin-screw automobile ferry
Built at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 296
Keel laid May 1, 1950; launched April 7, 1951
Built with ice-breaking capabilities for year round service
360’ LOA, 345’ LBP, 73’6” beam, 25’3” depth
4 oil-fired diesel engines, 9440 BHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI
344.7 x 73.7 x 20.6, 3844 GT, 2614 NT US 262971 to:
State of Michigan, Department of Highways, Lansing MI
Entered service Jan 1952 ferrying automobiles and passengers across the Straits of Mackinac between Mackinaw City MI and St. Ignace MI
Laid up Nov 1, 1957 at Mackinaw City when the opening of the Mackinac Bridge resulted in discontinuance of automobile and passenger ferry service.
Sold 1959 to Detroit-Atlantic Navigation Co., Detroit MI and renamed Jack Dalton. Engaged in service carrying truck trailers across Lake Erie between Detroit MI and Cleveland OH. The service was unprofitable, the firm defaulted on its mortgage and the vessel was returned to the State of Michigan.
Sold 1961 for service on the lower St. Lawrence River and left the Great Lakes
Renamed Pere Nouvel (Can 313942) 1961, Sunshine Coast Queen 1967 and Gulf Kanayak 1982.
Sank Dec 3, 1987 in storm 100 miles west of Vancouver BC enroute across the Pacific Ocean towed by a Japanese tug for service in Japan