1903 Perry G. Walker 1946
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chicago IL by Chicago Shipbuilding Co., Hull 63
Launched Oct 3, 1903
436’ LOA, 416’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1200 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH Oct 16, 1903 (Temp #19)
416.0 x 50.3 x 24.0, 4470 GT, 3143 NT US 200377 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Reenrolled at Cleveland OH Oct 27, 1903 (#20) to:
Gilchrist Transportation Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service 1903
Precipitated legendary accident June 9, 1909 at Canadian Lock at Sault Ste. Marie ON, running through lower lock gate as strs. Assiniboia and Crescent City were preparing to lock down, causing them to be washed down through the lock in the ensuing maelstrom.
Fleet went into receivership 1910
Sold at auction 1913 to Lackawanna Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr.
Fleet renamed Interlake Steamship Co. and vessel renamed Taurus (1).
Cargo hold rebuilt 1925 to arch construction at Fairport OH by Interlake Steamship Co.
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Traded in 1943 with six other vessels of the fleet to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of strs. Frank Armstrong, E. G. Grace and Frank Purnell. Operated during World War II by Interlake Steamship Co.
Laid up end of 1944 season at Erie PA
Sold for scrap 1946 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Hamilton ON Oct 1946 and scrapped there.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 388