1925 Charles C. West 1978
Steel twin-screw self-unloading Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corporation, Hull 216
Launched July 8, 1925
Laid down on a contract to build a twin-screw crosslake railroad carferry but the contract was cancelled and the vessel was purchased on the ways by the owners below and completed as a self- unloading freighter.
470’ LOA, 450’2” LBP, 62’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, 2 triple expansion engines, 2000 IHP
456.2 x 60.1 x 29.1, 6644 GT, 5004 NT US 225066 to:
Rockport Steamship Co., Sheboygan WI, Reiss Steamship Co., Mgr., a joint venture of C. Reiss Coal Co. and Cleveland Builders’ Supply Co. (home port Cleveland OH)
Entered service 1925
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Lengthened 120’ 1948 at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corporation
Remeasured to 576.2 length and 8481 GT, 6840 NT
Repowered 1952 with 2 Skinner Unaflow engines
Transferred 1964 to Reiss Steamship Co.
Fleet sold June 1969 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY. (Fleet managed by Boland & Cornelius but continued as a subsidiary under its former name.)
Laid up at the end of the 1974 season at Toledo OH and did not operate again.
Sold for scrap 1978 to United Pipe and Machinery Ltd. and towed to Buffalo NY. Scrapping delayed pending settlement of a lawsuit by an injured crew member. Scrapped 1979 at Buffalo by Advance Metals.