Western Reserve

1890                                  Western Reserve                                  1892

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Cleveland OH by Cleveland Ship Building Co, Hull 9
Launched Aug 20, 1890

318’ LOA, 41’ beam, 25’ depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine

Enrolled at Cleveland OH Sept 29, 1890 (#29)
300.7 x 41.2 x 21.0, 2392.05 GT, 1965.08 NT     US 81294     to:
P. G. Minch et al, Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)

Entered service 1890

Foundered Aug 30, 1892  60 miles above Whitefish Point, Lake Superior.  31 lives lost, including the owner Capt. Peter G. Minch, his wife, two children and two other relatives, who were aboard as passengers. Enroute light from Cleveland OH to Two Harbors MN.  Only one wheelsman made it to shore.  Vessel broke in two in heavy sea.  Enrollment surrendered Oct 1, 1892.  (Her sister ship, the next vessel built by the same shipyard, was lost in a gale eight weeks later and it was determined that the steel used in their construction was too brittle for large vessel construction.)

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 387

 

X161

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *