White, W.F.

1915                                  W. F. White                                  1984

Steel self-unloading Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 712
Launched July 24, 1915

550’ LOA, 530’ LBP, 60’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2100 IHP

Enrolled at Cleveland OH Aug 31, 1915 (#9)
530.0 x 60.0 x 32.0, 7180 GT, 5548 NT     US 213555     to:
Limestone Transportation Co., Cleveland OH (home port Fairport OH)

Chartered for ten years to Michigan Limestone & Chemical Co. Rogers City MI

Entered service Sept 1915

Sold 1924 at expiration of charter to Bradley Transportation Co., Rogers City MI (home port to Duluth MN)

Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation

Transferred at end of 1962 to off-Lakes service in Chesapeake Bay and left the Great Lakes.

Returned to the Great Lakes spring 1965

Fleet transferred 1967 to United States Steel Great Lakes Fleet (home port to Wilmington DE)

Laid up at end of 1974 season at Duluth MN and did not operate again for this fleet

Sold 1976 to Reoch Transports Ltd., Mississauga ON, Westdale Shipping Ltd., Mgr. and renamed Erindale  (2)
Enrolled Canadian at 8367 GT, 5588 NT     Can 370934     (home port Toronto ON)

Boilers converted to oil firing 1976 at Manitowoc WI

Damaged Oct 6, 1981 when she hit the Allanburg bridge, Welland Canal.  Laid up at Toronto ON.

Did not operate 1982 season

Repaired winter 1982-1983 and returned to service 1983, replacing fleetmate str. Leadale, which had been damaged Dec 7, 1982 at Thorold ON.

Sold for scrap 1984 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON and scrapped at Port Colborne

IMO 5384281

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 110

 

1501

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *