1910 Theodore H. Wickwire Jr. 1973
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at St. Clair MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 78
Keel laid March 8, 1910; launched June 25, 1910
524’ LOA, 504’ LBP, 56’ beam, 30’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1500 IHP
Enrolled at Port Huron MI Aug 4, 1910 (Temp #2)
504.0 x 56.0 x 26.0, 6077 GT, 4927 NT US 207766 to:
Great Lakes Engineering Works
Reenrolled at Detroit MI Aug 10, 1910 (Temp # 6) to:
American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. (home port to Buffalo NY)
Entered service Aug 1910
Permanent enrollment at Buffalo NY Aug 12, 1910 (#
Converted to self-unloader 1932 at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co. and renamed Thunder Bay Quarries (1)
Remeasured to 511.1 x 56.2 x 26.2, 6612 GT, 5335 NT
Renamed United States Gypsum (2) 1939
Certificate modified at beginning of 1972 season, because of her deteriorating condition, to allow operation only between Toledo OH and Port Huron MI. Used primarily in the coal run from Toledo to Detroit River ports.
Rudder damaged in grounding Nov 4, 1972 at Toledo OH. Towed the rest of the season to avoid a 3-week late season layup for repairs. While being towed by tugs Maine and Maryland from Toledo toward Detroit Nov 7, 1972 hit by tug Maine, flooding her #1 tank. Beached near Bar Point, lower Detroit River. Towed Nov 11 to Great Lakes Steel Corporation dock, where cargo removed.
Sold for scrap 1973 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Resold to Italian shipbreakers. Cleared Quebec QC May 12, 1973 with str. Henry G. Dalton towed by German tug Fairplay X. Towline broke May 21, off Sydney N.S., Atlantic Ocean and vessel foundered. Tow with Dalton arrived Vado Italy June 16, 1973.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 372