1904 Francis Widlar 1966
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 421
Launched April 7, 1904
436’ LOA, 416’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1500 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH May 16, 1904 (#86)
416.0 x 50.0 x 28.0, 4682 GT, 3368 NT US 200910 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Reenrolled at Cleveland OH June 11, 1904 (#93) to:
Columbia Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, W. H. Becker, Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service 1904
Transferred Sept 20, 1916 to Valley Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, W. H. Becker, Mgr.
Wrecked Nov 12, 1920 on Pancake Shoal near entrance to Whitefish Bay, Lake Superior and abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss. No lives lost. Salvaged by Reid Wrecking Co., Port Huron MI and towed 1921 to Port Arthur ON for repair.
Sold May 22, 1921 by underwriters to W. H. Becker et al, Cleveland OH.
Resold July 26, 1921 to Mathews Steamship Co., Toronto ON (home port to Toronto ON) and renamed Bayton
Enrolled Canadian at 416.0 x 50.0 x 28.0, 4176 GT, 3000 NT Can 141675
Fleet went into receivership 1931. G. T. Clarkson, Toronto ON appointed receiver.
Fleet sold late 1933 to Colonial Steamships Ltd., Port Colborne ON, Scott Misener, Mgr.
Boilers converted to oil firing 1947.
Fleet renamed Scott Misener Steamships Ltd. 1959
Suffered a cracked propeller shaft June 1, 1966 downbound with grain from Fort William ON to Port Colborne ON. Towed to Port Colborne, unloaded and sold for scrap to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne. Boilers removed for installation in str. Shelter Bay. Hull towed to Lake Michigan and sunk as breakwater for new harbor at Burns Harbor IN.
See history in Scanner Nov 1978 (#78)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 400