Williams, Homer D.

1917                                  Homer D. Williams                                  1984

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 720
Launched April 21, 1917

600’ LOA, 580’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2000 IHP

Enrolled at Cleveland OH June 25, 1917 (Temp #64)
580.0 x 60.0 x 32.0, 7742 GT, 6029 NT     US 215159     to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth MN)

Entered service June 27, 1917 clearing Lorain OH light for Duluth MN

Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN July 10, 1917 (#2)

Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE)

Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)

Repowered 1952 with steam turbine engine and new oil-fired boilers at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co.
(Vessel was repowered with steam turbine engine and sister vessel Eugene W. Pargny was repowered with a diesel engine in an experiment to see which type of powering was more effective, for use in making future fleet repowering decisions.  The diesel engine was determined to be the better choice)
Remeasured  to 8369 GT, 6756 NT

Fleet renamed United States Steel Great Lakes Fleet 1967 (home port to Wilmington DE)

Laid up July 25, 1981 at Duluth MN and did not operate again

Sold for scrap 1984 to Azcon Corporation.  Scrapped at Thunder Bay ON.

IMO 5153931

 

1711

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *