Wissahickon

1905                                  Wissahickon                                  1942 (1955)

Steel Great Lakes package freighter

Built at Buffalo NY by Buffalo Dry Dock Co., Hull 210
Launched July 11, 1907

371’9” LOA, 350’ LBP, 46’ beam, 30’ depth
2 decks, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 1600 IHP

Enrolled at Buffalo NY Aug 15, 1907 (Temp #15)
350.0 x 46.0 x 30.9, 4062 GT, 3104 NT     US 204416     to:
Erie & Western Transportation Co., Erie PA (home port Erie PA)
Great Lakes fleet of Pennsylvania Railroad, also known as “Anchor Line”

Entered service 1907

Permanent enrollment at Erie PA Aug 28, 1907 (#6)

Fleet sold Feb 22, 1916 to Great Lakes Transit Corporation, Buffalo NY (home port to Buffalo NY)
The railroads were required under the provisions of the Panama Canal Act of 1912 to divest themselves of competing vessels.  Great Lakes Transit Corporation was organized to own and operate these vessels.

Remeasured 1924 to 4253 GT, 3295 NT

Renamed Daniel Willard 1925

Sold 1942 to U. S. War Shipping Administration for off-Lakes service during World War II and left the Great Lakes.

Renamed Anne Marie (Pan.) 1947

Scrapped 1955

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 410

 

0741

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *