1904 Augustus B. Wolvin 1967
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 330
Launched April 9, 1904
Longest vessel on the Great Lakes (until Gary class of 1905 – superseded Gates class of 1900).
First vessel with arch cargo hold construction and with steel telescoping hatch covers (replacing wooden hatch covers).
560’ LOA, 540’ LBP, 56’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 2000 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH May 9, 1904 (#84)
540.0 x 56.0 x 32.0, 6585 GT, 5311 NT US 200883 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Reenrolled at Duluth MN May 17, 1904 (#151) to:
Acme Steamship Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr (home port to Duluth MN)
Fleet sold 1913 to Lackawanna Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH)
Fleet renamed Interlake Steamship Co.
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Hatches rebuilt 1946 to 24’ centers and hatch crane at Ashtabula OH by Great Lakes Engineering Works
Remeasured to 6988 GT, 6057 NT
Remeasured 1950 to 7403 GT, 6474 NT
Boilers converted to oil firing early 1950s
Laid up 1961-1966 seasons at Erie PA
Transferred 1966 to Canadian affiliate Labrador Steamship Co., Montreal QC (home port to Montreal QC).
Enrolled Canadian at 547.4 x 56.2 x 28.7, 8316 GT, 5395 NT Can 326401
Scraped bank in Welland Canal June 1967 and suffered extensive bottom damage. Declared constructive total loss at Port Weller and towed to Hamilton ON. Sold for scrap to Marine Salvage Inc., Port Colborne ON. Resold to Spanish shipbreakers and towed down St. Lawrence Seaway in August. Arrived at Santander Spain Sept 24, 1967 under tow with str. Saskadoc.
See history in Scanner Midsummer 2004 (#286)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 419