Wyandotte 1

1908                                  Wyandotte     1                                  1965

Steel Great Lakes self-unloading bulk freighter

Built at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 54
First self-unloader built on the Great Lakes
Keel laid April 30, 1908; launched July 2, 1908

304’ LOA, 286’ LBP, 45’ beam, 24’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1100 IHP

Enrolled at Detroit MI July 30, 1908 (#6)
286.0 x 45.2 x 24.0, 2095 GT, 1283 NT     US 205458     to:
Wyandotte Transportation Co., Detroit MI, a subsidiary of Michigan Alkali Co. (home port Wyandotte MI)

Entered service Aug 5, 1908 sailing light to Sandusky OH for a cargo of coal for Alpena MI

Lengthened 60’ 1910 at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works
Remeasured to 346.0 length and 2450 GT, 1541 NT

Laid up at the end of the 1961 season at Wyandotte MI and did not operate again.  Formally retired in 1963 when str. Conneaut was renamed Wyandotte  (2).

Sold 1965 to Waterman Steamship Co. for trade in to U. S. Maritime Commission for vessels in the reserve fleet.  Resold to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON and scrapped at Port Colborne.

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 424

 

0832

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *