1895 Yale 1943 (1947)
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by Cleveland Ship Building Co., Hull 15
Launched Aug 2, 1895
380’ LOA, 371’ LBP, 45’ beam, 27’ depth
2 decks, 11 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1200 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH Aug 28, 1895 (#18)
371.0 x 45.0 x 22.7, 3453.26 GT, 2698.58 NT US 27665 to:
Yale Transit Co., Cleveland OH, Robert R. Rhodes, Mgr. (home port Fairport OH)
Entered service 1895
Sold 1906 to John J. Boland, Buffalo NY
Sold 1911 to Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ecorse MI in part payment on the steamer Louis R. Davidson, then being built at Ecorse for Boland & Cornelius. Resold to Port Huron & Duluth Steamship Co., Port Huron MI, taking in part payment the steamer Portland (which was rebuilt for salt water service and sold off the Great Lakes).
Firm failed and vessel repossessed by Great Lakes Engineering Works.
Sold Nov 27, 1915 to Juliet Gravaeret Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, E. N. Breitung Co., Mgr.
Cargo hold rebuilt winter 1915-1916 to arch construction and renamed Charlotte Gravaeret Breitung 1916
Remeasured to 3522 GT, 2178 NT (home port to Fairport OH)
Sold June 20, 1918 to Morrow Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co., Mgr. and renamed T. K. Maher.
Renamed D. E. Callender (1) 1924
Firm management transferred 1926 to Valley Camp Coal Co.
Driven ashore Nov 14, 1933 10 miles west of Long Point, Lake Erie in storm and declared constructive total loss. No lives lost
Hulk acquired by Corps of Engineers, U. S. Army. Converted to derrick barge at Toledo OH by Toledo Shipbuilding Co. about 1936, unofficially renamed Wilton, for work on the Conneaut OH breakwater.
Returned to Toledo 1938. Towed to New Orleans LA about 1943 and scrapped there about 1947.