1895 Zenith City 1946
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chicago IL by Chicago Ship Building Co., Hull 15
Launched Aug 14, 1895
With Victory longest vessel on the Great Lakes (until Sir William Fairbairn of 1896 – superseded S. S. Curry class of 1893)
400’ LOA, 387’ LBP, 48’ beam, 28’6” depth
2 decks, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1100 IHP
Enrolled at Duluth MN Sept 18, 1895 (#8)
387.5 x 48.3 x 23.3, 3850.49 GT, 3429.06 NT US 28129 to:
Zenith Transit Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service 1895
Fleet merged 1900 into American Steamship Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Fleet merged spring 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1926 to arch construction at Conneaut OH
Remeasured to 387.5 x 48.3 x 23.9, 3581 GT, 2435 NT
Traded in 1943 with six other vessels of the fleet to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of strs. Sewell Avery, George A. Sloan and Robert C. Stanley. Operated during World War II by Pittsburgh Steamship Co.
Laid up end of 1944 season at Erie PA
Sold for scrap 1946 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Hamilton ON Oct 1946 and scrapped there in 1947.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 404