1906 Eugene Zimmerman 1963 (1964)
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Toledo OH by Craig Shipbuilding Co., Hull 106
Launched Jan 18, 1906
(Launched by Toledo Shipbuilding Co., which had become the successor to Craig Shipbuilding Co. earlier in the month)
500’ LOA, 480’ LBP, 52’ beam, 30’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1200 IHP
Enrolled at Toledo OH Dec 29, 1905 (#5)
488.6 x 52.0 x 31.0, 5630 GT, 4772 NT US 202711 to:
Craig Shipbuilding Co., Toledo OH (home port Rossford OH)
Reenrolled at Toledo OH April 10, 1906 (#13) to:
Toledo Steamship Co., Toledo OH, L. S. Sullivan, Mgr. (home port to Toledo OH)
Entered service April 12, 1906 clearing Toledo with a cargo of coal for Duluth MN. (Was scheduled to depart the next day but hurried the loading and left the previous evening to avoid starting her maiden voyage on Friday the 13th.)
On her maiden voyage upbound collided April 16 with str. Saxona in the St. Marys River. Saxona downbound with flax. Both vessels sank. Raised in two weeks, repaired and returned to service.
Sold Nov 30, 1915 to Grand Island Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co., Mgr. (home port to Grand Island MI) and renamed Grand Island.
Fleet transferred 1921 to Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co. (home port to Fairport OH)
Remeasured to 25.8 depth and 5446 GT, 4143 NT
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Sold 1963 to Auxiliary Power Corporation for use as a floating temporary power plant for communities along the St. Lawrence River during construction of permanent facilities and renamed Poweraux Chris. Program was not implemented.
Resold 1964 to German shipbreakers. Arrived at Hamburg Germany Nov 9, 1964 towed by Canadian tug Foundation Valiant.
See history in Scanner Midsummer 1994 (#213)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 129